About Us

History

History of Okayama University Hospital

April 1870 (Meiji 3) June Okayama Domain Igakukan was established (in Kadota, Okayama City).
A main hospital was opened in Okayama Domain Igakukan (in Kadota, Okayama City).
July 1871 (Meiji 4) An infirmary was established attached to Okayama Domain Igakukan (in Nakano-cho, Okayama City).
January 1872 (Meiji 5)July Okayama Domain Igakukan changed its name to Igakusho.
The main hospital and the infirmary of Okayama Domain Igakukan were merged and relocated; Igakusho (Medical School) was attached (in Nakano-cho, Okayama City).
November 1873 (Meiji 6) Okayama Prefectural Hospital was established.
September 1880 (Meiji 13) Igakusho (Medical School) was renamed Okayama Prefectural Medical School; it became independent from the Hospital.
April 1888 (Meiji 21) Okayama Prefectural Medical School was dissolved; The Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty was established.
July 1891 (Meiji 24) Okayama Prefectural Hospital was relocated to the premises of the Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty (in Uchisange, Okayama City).
September 1894 (Meiji 27) The Third Higher Middle School Medical Faculty was renamed The Third Senior High School Medical Faculty.
April 1901 (Meiji 34) The Medical Faculty was separated from The Third Senior High School and became independent as Okayama Medical Speciality School.
March 1921 (Taisho 10) Okayama Prefectural Hospital was newly constructed at the present location; completion of the building construction was celebrated (in Shikata Mura: present-day Shikata-cho, Okayama City).
April Okayama Prefectural Hospital was transferred to the Ministry of Education. It became Okayama Medical Speciality School Affiliated Hospital and started providing treatment at the new hospital.
April 1922 (Taisho 11) Okayama Medical College was established.
Okayama Medical Speciality School Affiliated Hospital was renamed the Okayama Medical College Affiliated Hospital.
May 1939 (Showa 14) Okayama Medical College Temporary Affiliated Medical Speciality was established.
July Okayama Medical College Misasa Spa Sanatorium was established.
November 1943 (Showa 18) The Okayama Medical College Misasa Spa Sanatorium was renamed the Okayama Medical College Radium Research Institute.
May 1949 (Showa 24) Okayama Medical College was included in Okayama University. Okayama University Medical School, Okayama University Hospital, Misasa Branch Hospital, Honjima Branch Hospital, and Konko Branch Hospital were .established.
April 1957 (Showa 32) Konko Branch Hospital was dissolved
March 1960 (Showa 35) Okayama Medical College was dissolved
September 1963 (Showa 38) The Emperor Meiji and Empress made a royal visit to the hospital (three royal visits followed afterward).
April 1965 (Showa 40) Medical School Affiliated Hospital Misasa Branch Hospital was established.
October 1979 (Showa 54) Dental School was established
April 1982 (Showa 57) The University Hospital of Dentistry was established.
March 2000 (Heisei 12) Honjima Branch Hospital was abolished
October 2003 (Heisei 15) University Hospital of Medicine and University Hospital of Dentistry was Integrated and University Hospital of Medicine and Dentistry was established.
April 2004 (Heisei 16) Okayama University was transformed into Okayama University, National University Corporation.
January 2007 (Heisei 19) Hospital name approved according to the Medical Treatment Act was changed to the Okayama University Hospital and the Okayama University Hospital Misasa Medical Center.
April 2009 (Heisei 21) Hospital name of organization(Okayama University)was change to the Okayama University Hospital and the Okayama University Hospital Misasa Medical Center.